Monday, December 22, 2008

Doctor Appointment Today

I had another doctor appointment today. Elam has a healthy heartbeat at about 145 bpm. I asked several questions, so I learned a lot.

I had heard from a few different sources that when someone carries a baby full-term, they should wait at least six months before trying to get pregnant again. So I asked the doctor about it today. When we first found out about Elam's disorder, the doctor told us that I would need to wait only 2 months before we could try to get pregnant. Today she told me that because I've carried him so far, I will need to wait at least 6 months after a normal delivery or 1 year after a c-section before getting pregnant. She had told us 2 months before because she didn't expect me to carry him very much longer. She reminded me that she just didn't expect him to live this long. Hearing that we need to waiting 6 months to a year was really disappointing for me. We were planning to try to get pregnant again just a couple months after Elam is born, but that can't happen anymore.

I also asked about last week's ultrasound results. The doctor gave me a copy of the ultrasound report. Apparently, Elam's left hand is clubbed (turned toward his elbow). For some reason they didn't tell us that when we had the ultrasound done, but it was on the report. Also, we had found out that Elam was in the frank breech position last week, so I asked the doctor if it appeared that I would need to have a c-section whenever it's time to deliver him. Even though he will be very small, if he doesn't change positions by then, I will likely have to have a c-section. But he's still got plenty of room to change positions by then.

Next week, I have another appointment on Monday to do my glucose-tolerance test and to get my flu shot. Please pray that I haven't developed gestational diabetes. I have been showing some symptoms of it, so I'm not sure what to expect.

We're excited that it looks like Elam will make it to Christmas. Please pray that we will be able to enjoy the holidays and that Elam will continue to do well. And please pray that we will be patient in waiting for God's timing in this whole situation.

No comments: