Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Another Update

I realized that I forgot to mention something else that I talked to my doctor about yesterday. I asked her about the hole in Elam's heart. My last ultrasound confirmed that the hole was still there and I was wondering if it would be life-threatening. I asked my doctor, but she was not sure. It depends on how big the hole is. Babies are born all the time with ventricle defects like Elam's and they're fine as long as the hole is small. If it is large, blood can flow backwards in the heart, which would lead to heart failure. So I will ask the high risk doctor about it at my next ultrasound. Please pray that the hole will be small, or better yet, that it would heal completely.

Also, I have another update since yesterday. My doctor called me last night after hours to let me know that she had talked to the neonatologist and that the neonatologist would be calling me in the next few days to set up a time to visit the NICU. I am very blessed to have a doctor who is so helpful, even after hours! I didn't expect to that she would contact the neonatologist so soon. To my surprise, the neonatologist called about 15-20 minutes later! She was very kind and told us to come any time on Sunday. She wants me to have the doctor's office fax over all of Elam's records so they will be prepared for him. Another blessing! I'm very grateful to be working with yet another person who is so helpful. It is very nice to know that they will be completely informed and ready for Elam if he is born alive. Please pray for our visit to the NICU and our time with the neonatologist. This will be a great chance to ask questions about decisions we may need to make and any other ways we need to prepare. And it will be good to be able to see the NICU and know a little more about what to expect in case Elam needs it.

No comments: