Monday, January 12, 2009

Doctor Appointment Today

I went to the doctor today. Elam's heartbeat was a little slower than the average baby at his gestational age, but the doctor didn't seem too concerned about it. When I have checked his heartbeat recently at home, it's usually been in the normal healthy range. Once it was slow like it was today and another time it was a little faster than normal. She did seem a little concerned when I told her that I haven't been feeling him kick very often, but I had been feeling pressure where he is in my belly. She asked me if I had had any on a list of labor symptoms, but I hadn't. So she didn't seem too concerned about that either. I asked her when she would plan to do a c-section if Elam survives to term. She said that we'll probably schedule it during my 39th week, so he has as much time to develop as possible, which is particularly important for his lungs.

I have an ultrasound on Thursday. Please pray that Elam is in a better position this time. I'm not as concerned about him being breech because it seems that I'm going to most likely have a c-section no matter what, but it would be nice to be able to look at all of his body parts and see how they're doing. We've had a particularly difficult time seeing his hands and feet in the last ultrasounds, so it would be nice to actually get a good look at them, as well as all his other features. I'm not sure if this will be an in-depth ultrasound. Hopefully it will be, or hopefully we'll have one of those the next time, so we can see how his brain is doing and if the hole in his heart has improved or worsened.

Please continue to pray that Elam would remain as healthy as possible. I'm hoping that the fact that he hasn't been kicking consistently and his slower heartbeat aren't a serious cause for concern. Thank you for your prayers! I will post an update on Thursday about the ultrasound.

No comments: